Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions of hostels or things I should not miss in any of these cities? Below are the places I am planning on visiting:
Lisbon, Portugal
Madrid, Spain (I get to see two great friends! Lindsay- College Roommate and Katherine- Good Friend)
Barcelona, Spain
Nice, France
Arles, France
Paris, France
Bruges, Belgium
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Prague, Czech Republic
Krumlov, Czech Republic
Vienna, Austria
Salzburg, Austria
Croatia (My father is coming for this)
Italy (My mother will travel with me here)
Possibilities:
Budapest, Hungary
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Paris: The Monet Water Lilies (Les Nympheas) are at the Musee de l'Orangerie, go there for sure!! I loved the Musee d'Orsay, go there and eat lunch in the restaurant (not the cafe, but the actual restaurant) in the museum. I did it by myself, and it's totally worth it! The Rodin "The Thinker" statue is in the garden of the Rodin museum. It's onl 1 euro to get in the garden, but 6 or something to get in the museum. I heard it's better to go to just the garden.
ReplyDeleteThe Marais district, old Paris, is the BEST for shopping. Tons of small great stores of things you'd only find in Paris. AMAZING shoes.
Notre Dame in the morning when no one is there. It's so peaceful!
Everything is walkable, so wear comfy shoes, and you won't need the metro, and you'll see more!
Jean and I stayed in a pretty good hostel in Amsterdam when we were there our junior year, but I don't know what it's called. She may remember!
Have so much fun, Laura!
Thanks, Shelley!
ReplyDeleteGreece and in Italy-Florence are places I would love to visit. I'm excited for you!!!
ReplyDelete" All men die , few men truly live"
I wish I could remember the hostels I stayed at!! But I tried to look online and none of them look familiar!
ReplyDeleteI gave you my two cents on Lisbon.
Madrid - I could go on forEVER since this is where I studied abroad.. but I'll try and restrain myself. VERY walkable city.. especially if you stay at a hostel downtown (Metro Sol, Callao, Gran Via) Check out the Prado for as long as you can handle it. Walk around Plaza Mayor (Metro Sol).. lots of shopping and food. Check out San Gines chocolateria at Metro Sol. They are open very late and have delicious churros and chocolate!!! It's a must do! My favorite museum was Reina Sofia - it's smaller and more manageable, but also has a ton of famous works. Parque de Buen Retiro (Metro Retiro) is a fun place to walk around for an hour or two. Palacio Real is gorgeous and not too spendy (7 or 8 euro I think). There's a real gaudy looking cathedral across from the Palace.. and it's actually work taking a look at! It's very new and the stained glass is pretty amazing from what I remember! Lots of good restaurants around Chueca. If you've got extra time.. take a bus to San Lorenzo de El Escorial to check out Valle do los Caidos - which is where Franco is buried. Not a happy part of history and a very controversial place for the locals, but an interesting crypt/basilica. It's eerie inside (dark and super quiet) but quite pretty.
Barcelona - Parc Guell is funky place to walk around.. interesting architecture. I would pick one Antonio Gaudi house/museum to go through.. or a couple. However many you have time for! I went in La Pedrera and loved it. Also.. definitely check out La Sagrada Familia. AMAZING facades on the church and gorgeous view from up top. I also took a bus to Tibidabo which is a short trip from the city, but it was totally work it. Gorgeous view.
Bruges! Yey! Such a cute city! Loved Market Square. Check out Belfry tower, The Gruuthuse house (i think this might have been free, but can't remember), and walk to one or two of the mills that are around the city. Loved St John's House Mill - wonderful view!
Amsterdam - I spent 3 days there so I bought the "I AMsterdam" card so I could get access into a bunch of the museums for a cheaper price. The card was spendy, but I wanted to see a bunch of the museums.. so it was worth it. It also included a free canal cruise which was awesome and also free use of public transportation (although I think I walked for the most part). I loved Rembrandthuise, Historisch Museum, Anne Frank House, Amsterdam Tulip Museum (tiny, and probably only worth it to me b/c it's my favorite flower.. haha), Rijksmuseum, Jewish Historical Museum, Museum Our Lord in the Attic (very unique), and the Portugese Israeli Synagoge. When I wasn't in museums, I just walked the city. The canals and interesting houses were a joy to look at!
Besides Madrid, Amsterdam and Lisbon were my absolute favorites.
Can't WAIT to hear about how things are going!! Have a great time Laura!
Laura! your trip sounds amazing so far! I have a godo friend who dances with the ballet in Amsterdam, I'm not sure if you like ballet but let me know if you're interested and I can see if I can get you a ticket! Also make sure and get the mint tea there its literally a mint plant in hot water. (also its liek real ballet, not you know the OTHER ballet:))
ReplyDeleteIn Paris i loved teh catacombs, also the famous grave yard is really good for a day of nice walks (i'm not a morbid person, i swear!)
in prauge i loved the castle, which i'm sure you were planning on visiting anyway, but it was really cool
Hoe all is well, it sounds like it!
Kristina