Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Some perspective on the Big 3-0

Since I am minutes away from turning 30 my mind is obviously doing a lot of thinking of what this means. It is interesting how prospectives can easily change based upon situations we are in. If you asked me 20, 10, 5, or even 3 years ago I likely had a different idea of where I thought I would be in my life when I turned 30. I'm sure many of you were certain I would be living somewhere in suburbia with a white picket fence too. In the end that isn't the life I have created for myself, and sure I could have done some things differently, but at the end of the day I don't have regrets because I have become a confident more aware person.

I'm proud of the chance I took to take a huge step outside of my comfort zone to quit my job and travel to unknown countries by myself. The 26 year old I thought I was going to be would have never thought to have done something this "dangerous/risky/crazy". Thanks to this incredible experience I gained confidence, independence, and awareness I would have likely never developed. I would have never thought that at 27 I would have accepted a job that required almost weekly travel and to be sales forward. I knew that it would be a challenge for multiple reasons but also great career growth. Because of this experience I continue to become confident and independent in growing a career as a business professional. I enjoy feeling successful and knowing that I can support myself. There are numerous other decisions and chances I have taken; some big and some small.

My life may be different; but I'm a better person for who I have become. In looking back on these 30 years I am thankful for all that I have learned and gained from taking chances I would have never thought of. No doubt I have had some incredible opportunities and I'm glad I have woken up and taken advantage and appreciated them. Here is to a wonderful first year in my 30s filled with taking chances that I'm confident will payoff in great dividends.

Lesson: Take chances and recognize that there is not a certain path or way that things are supposed to go. Remember to do what is best for you personally, not what others think.

No comments:

Post a Comment