Within a week I was able to knock two new states off the list in a whirlwind of a trip. First up was Louisiana and businesses meetings in New Orleans. I saw a lot of a conference room but was able to escape to witness the craziness that is Bourbon Street as well as wandering the riverfront and viewing the beautiful architecture. With a city that within the past 8 years was flipped upside down by hurricane Katrina it is tough to imagine what the city was like before and immediately after. I got a little first hand insight from my cab driver who had to close his boutique in the French Quarter because of damage and explained the long six years that it took to get insurance money for his destroyed house. What we don't hear about or see in the news is that the 9th quarter is still destroyed and abandoned. Katrina's damage to the city will be everlasting and tourism is still down but hopefully in the coming years people will come back to embrace it and not just the nonstop partying that makes Vegas look like preschool. I look forward to returning to New Orleans to try those famous beignets, take a cemetery tour, listen to some jazz and brass bands and explore the quieter side and beautiful architecture.
From Louisiana it was on to Florida. Yes, I've traveled near and far but never to Florida because being a West Coaster it isn't that quick and easy of a flight. St Petersburg is a beautiful place that instantly makes one feel like they are on vacation or enjoying retirement. Our trip was filled with celebrating a wedding of a good friend so sightseeing was minimal which just means another trip to Florida is in order.
No comments:
Post a Comment