Saturday, January 23, 2010

Doha, Qatar

Doha was a nice change of pace from Dubai. Doha is also a rich city (apparently the 2nd highest per capita in the world) and it is enjoying building glory days. Like Dubai, it is surrounded by large glass office buildings with unique modern architecture, with many more are being developed. Doha has also followed the man made island idea with their own, called "the Pearl". There were three things that I especially enjoyed in Doha; the souk market, The Museum of Islamic Art, and corniche. The souk market is a newly developed area that has a number of great restaurants, with outside dining, as well as a section of market type stores. They are not fancy but a true market with local goods. Connecting the shops and the restaurants is a large walkway which reminded me of Europe. It is a wonderful wide place for people to gather and be with friends. What a great design and such an important idea.
The Islamic Museum of Art was designed by I.M. Pei He designed the pyramids at the Louvre among many other wonderful buildings. I highly highly recommend this museum. The museum is filled with a number of amazing and beautiful artifacts but the best part was the building itself. What Pei created on the outside is unique but the inside blew my mind. The geometric shapes used in the ceiling, floors, stairs, and lighting are superb. I truly feel that this is one of the best museums out there and I have seen a lot the past six months.
Finally the corniche is also a truly special place. Corniche translates to boardwalk and in Doha it is a six km walkway that is situated along the beautiful crescent shaped bay. The waterfront is beautiful at night with sparkling buildings. Families, all out walking, fill the corniche in the warm Doha evening.
Doha was a great stop and I look forward to hearing how this new city continues to develop and grow (hopefully in a safe and mindful way).

No comments:

Post a Comment