Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Visit to the Taj Mahal

On my last day in Delhi, I decided to take a day trip on my own. No trip to India would be complete without a trip to the Taj Mahal, so I joined a tour bus spending a complete day (6am to 10:30pm) going to the Taj. The Taj was unbelievably exquisite with it's massiveness and the amazing details of inlaid marble and other semi precious stones, which created beautiful designs.
As beautiful as the Taj Mahal is, the trip there was emotionally difficult . The poverty in Agra, where the Taj is located, and areas on the way there, over the 4 hour plus trip, each way, was heart wrenching. I had seen poverty throughout India and in other places but never anything even half as bad as what I passed on this day trip. There were piles of garbage everywhere. In the mounds you would see cows, pigs, dogs, and other animals eating the garbage. They didn't just have a bite, rather they ate lots. I also witnessed little kids climbing through the garbage looking for any food or items to salvage. There was also a great deal of aggressive begging by people who had intentionally been disfigured or manipulated to convince people to give them money. What I saw on this day trip I will never forget. It was such a striking contrast between the exquisite beauty of the Taj Mahal with it's colorful details and the surrounding grey and poverty of the stricken area.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment