Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Our Right to Vote


One of the items on my list was to research before an election to know what I believed and why I was voting for candidates or propositions. If I'm turning 31 I need to be responsible and know what issues are important to me and why, and not just going along with my parents, family, or friends or what's on tv. Everyone is welcome to their own opinions, and I prefer to keep politics private which is why I'm not going to be all political in this open setting.
 
I'll admit I didn't spend as much time as I thought I would to get all the facts, but I did read quite a bit on the different propositions and the presidents. I should probably care more about the locally elected officials since they are the ones more likely to influence my daily life, but in all honesty I didn't spend the time learning about them. I guess there will be more elections for that.

For the first time in my life I took a step back and asked myself what issues are most important to me. Is it the environment, right for all to marry, tax levels, how businesses are regulated, social services, healthcare, foreign policy, etc. I took these issues and assigned an importance which I used to guide me to my decisions on voting.

Of course whoever has been elected has always played a role in my life with decisions they have or haven't made. With that said I feel like just now as I became more of an independent women with more responsibilities do I realize the importance and seeing decisions come to play in my life. Maybe it's closing in on 30 that makes me realize I'm actually getting old and need to be more responsible with how I want to live my life. Voting is an amazing right that we are all given and that I'm finally taking advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment