Friday, September 7, 2012

I'm Sexy and I know it- Pamukkale




I'm sexy and I know it.
No, I'm not talking about myself but rather the hoards of visitors to unique Pamukkale. As I sit to take a break from the heat in the shade all that I can see are people of all shapes and sizes wearing skimpy bathing attire and posing for the next issue of Playboy in the middle of this UNESCO Heritage Site. I'm glad people are confident with their body image but something about this just doesn't seem right and is appaling seeing skinny and overly obese girls and gentleman wearing suits that barely cover the goods in a national park. I can't begin to imagine people walking through Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, or Niagara Falls in this attire. Pamukkale, looks a bit like glaciers and the name translates to cotton castle. The terraces are formed when water from the hot springs loses carbon dioxide as it flows down the slopes leaving deposits of limestone. There are natural pools that have formed that are healing and one of the reasons people are in their swim suits but still... My group is fully clothed and we're still enjoying walking through the healing water and not posing provocatively. Pamukkale is beautiful and amazing with how it formed and the magnificent color but it challenges one to look past superficial beauty to find true natural beauty and enjoy what God has created. This is a lesson to take away and remember in every day life no matter where you are.

Meanwhile while writing this I've had my first true alone time in the past two weeks which has been refreshing. What I learned from my past Europe Adventure was that having time to myself each day is something that is necessary for my peace of mind. Sure, I might have a great spot but that doesn't mean people need to come sit so close to me that they are practically touching me when there are a ton more benches and seats that are wide open. I guess no matter how much I travel I'll always be reminded of the difference with personal space in different cultures.

1 comment:

  1. Laura! I just came across your blog (again)!I am happy to see you are out there pursing your bliss - Best of luck! - Catherine Cason

    ReplyDelete