I truly believe that laughter is one of the best things in life. It makes you smile, can make your stomach hurt, make you cry and is good for the soul. I don't normally think of myself as a funny person. I enjoy to laugh but normally and am not quick enough to come up with anything funny to say until 10 mins later at which point it's too late. The people of Turkey have a great sense of humor. Each person that we've had interaction with from the restaurant owner to the hot air balloon pilot to the family that hosted us for dinner in their home, have been funny. A couple other examples of the humor in the culture is the safety video on the airplane I previously mentioned and their ice cream vendors.Turkish ice cream is spotted along the street and the vendor dresses in traditional garb. These aren't normal ice cream scoopers but rather clowns. They make you work for your ice cream and make fun of you along the way. As they put on their show they hit the bells above to remind you of the cow that your ice cream comes from. Even with language barriers the Turkish keep everything light and humorous. I believe this relaxed attitude is in the culture. Not to say we're not funny in the U.S. but you just don't see an entire country not taking themselves so seriously and enjoying life.
No comments:
Post a Comment