Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 4- Luge



The Canadians are still celebrating the gold medal from the moguls and everywhere you go all you hear is talk about that famous event. Yesterday (day 4), we went up to Whistler to watch the women's luge. The drive to Whistler was breathtaking with gorgeous views of the mountains covered with snow and the river beside the road. The sliding center at Blackcomb was unbelievable to see in person. After having seen the luge live I don't think I will ever be able to view it in the same light on tv again. We were able to walk the entire course from the starting area all the way past the finish to where the athletes slow down and get off their sleds. The viewing area is so close to the track that you feel like you could touch them as they race by at high speeds. The first couple runs we could barely see them as they flew by at 165 km/hr. The joke around the track for the spectators was that all of our pictures ended up being of just the ice on the track since it was so difficult to time when they would race on by. Not only are they going at such fast speeds but the track is very steep and some of the track is vertical where the athletes go up on the wall. All I can say is that what these athletes do is absolutely unbelievable with the speeds, precision in turning the winding curves, and the steepness of the course. I can't wait to watch the finals on tv today as I now know that the speed these athletes are going at is so much faster than what is shown on tv.

Today, we are off to see the men's canadian hockey team compete. Considering that hockey is Canada's game I expect this crowd and event to be out of control and a lot of fun.

I'll try to post some pictures of the events later today or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way after seeing Skeleton up there...

    ReplyDelete