Monday, February 15, 2010

The Olympics- Day 1, 2, and 3- Opening Ceremony, Hockey, and Moguls






I meant to post after day 1 and 2 but have been too busy enjoying the games. Everything has been absolutely incredible and beyond my wildest imagination. Since I haven't yet posted on the Olympics I'll back up a few days before I end on what might be one of the greatest Olympic moments.

I hope that everyone had the chance to watch the opening ceremonies because Canada put on an amazing show that personalized to the world who Canada is. As soon as our plane landed in Vancouver we headed downtown to try to get our hands on tickets for the opening ceremonies. The best offer I could get was $750 so I laughed and decided that watching the ceremony on a TV a few blocks from the stadium would be just as great... and it was. We were fortunate to get a table directly in front of the tv at a bar/restaurant filled with people all excited about the Olympics and especially about their countries chances at the games. It was great to sit there and hear people from around the world cheer loudly and even sing when their country marched in. I knew then with the excitement in the air that these next two weeks were going to be incredible (and they already have).

Day 2 of the games marked the first event that we would attend. And there couldn't have been a better event to see than women's hockey, Canada vs Slovakia. I think we all know Canadians like rather love hockey just a little bit. I wore my Canada shirt but compared to the rest of the crowd I was underdressed. Canadians love anything hockey and went absolutely crazy cheering on their dominate team. It didn't help to be a little excited with the final score of 18-0. Yes, Canada was that dominate and amazing in their first game of the tournament.

The first two days of the Olympics had already been amazing but what I experienced today was absolutely incredible. Nance and I headed to Cypress Mountain today to witness Men's moguls freestyle skiing where we saw history in the making. For those who haven't seen moguls on tv before it is crazy what these athletes do. They start the course which is quite long and steep with a few moguls and then they have a jump that they do fancy tricks off of and then they go down a bunch of moguls and finish with one last jump with more twist and turns. The amazing part is how fast they make it down the hill especially with the tricks. Most competitors were finishing the course in 23 or 24 seconds. Cypress Mountain is where the snow was trucked in but after standing on the snow for 8 hours I can tell you that it was cold! It was tough to realize how cold you were because of the excitement in the air from the crowd. Canadians were favored here with 4 making it into the final. In the end it was a young Canadian who make history collecting the first gold medal ever to be captured on Canadian soil. The drought was over and the Canadians were celebrating. Words can't do justice to this sport and how amazing what they do is. It was incredible being there today and I think that watching these moguls might be one of the top memories at the end of this trip. I encourage everyone to checkout moguls sometime and watch the video. An American won bronze today and last night was the women's competition where we collected both gold and bronze in stellar performances.

Only three days have gone by but the memories are excitement keep on building. I'll try to blog each day when I get home when I am still remembering the moments and my brain is running a bit better to write. Until the next entry (hopefully tomorrow) please watch and enjoy the olympics and go USA!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! How great!! SO glad for all of you! My love to all but esp the b-day girl on her big day. What a chance in a life time! I sat there watching the opening ceromonies thinking of all of you! Hope others were also able to join you. How awesome!!

    ReplyDelete