Monday, October 19, 2009

The French Riviera

I have spent the past few days exploring the glitz and glamour of The French Riviera. Yesterday, I took the bus up to Monaco and was overwhelmed by the make believe world that is Monte Carlo. I went into the casino and did quite well with the slot machines so I have decided to cancel the rest of my trip and am going to take off on a yacht and travel the world by the sea rather than the train... I guess that was just a dream.

Today I took the train to Cannes and also stoped in Antibes. The train went along the coastline and I was amazed by the purity of the shades of blue. Cannes wasn't all that it is made out to believe however it gave me the opportunity to eat a nutella crepe on the beach which was by far the best thing that I have eaten this entire trip. The rest of the day continued to be great with food. This evening I ate at a French restaurant in downtown Nice. I had an amazing fish soup which is famous for this area (the waiter had to show us how to eat it) and finished with fresh mussels and fries, another Provencal specialty.

Tomorrow I am off to explore Villefranche (an old fishing village north of Nice) and then downtown Nice before I hopefully head off to the Loire Valley early Wednesday morning. There is a train strike in France at the moment so plans might change again if I can't get out. At least if I am stuck I am in a wonderful hostel and a beautiful area. Life can't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment