Friday, October 30, 2009

Bruges, Belgium

From Paris I took the train to Bruges, Belgium. It didn't take long until my entire pace changed to a slow relaxed environment. Bruges is absolutely charming filled with canals, horse drawn carriages, and architecture that will likely be similar to Amsterdam but unlike anything that I have seen yet in Europe. This little city isn't so little but wins the prize for the easiest city to get lost in.

So far I have tried the thick Belgium waffle swimming in warm chocolate sauce and plan on enjoying twice fried French fries (this is where they were invented not France) dipped in mayo. Gross I know but these are the local specialties! The real local specialty is beer and let me tell you it is delicious but strong! Belgium has over 800 varieties of beer all with a different glass to bring out the flavors in the beer.

This morning I climbed the clock tower which is in the center of Bruges and the one in he movie "In Bruges". The spiral staircase to climb up was extremely narrow and two way making for some interesting times climbing over people. The entire time walking up I couldn't stop but to think of he movie and how there was no way that actor who was large could have climbed up the stairs. The view from the top was beautiful and it was special hearing the ringing of the bells every 15 minutes.

Bruges has been wonderful and quick and tomorrow it is off to Amsterdam which should be quite entertaining for Halloween. After that I am not sure of where I am going to go next. Let the adventures continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment