Thursday, November 5, 2009

Berlin, Germany- U2

I had no intentions of going to Germany and was planning on taking the train through the country without getting off. Thankfully, I decided to come to Berlin because so far it has been the highlight of the trip. While in Paris my sister sent me an email saying that U2 was going to be in Berlin on the 5th of October for a free concert. I thought it would be awesome to go but noticed that the tickets were already given away so I wouldn't be able to see them. Alright so I couldn't see U2 but maybe I should go to Berlin since it is the 20th anniversary of the wall falling on Tuesday. While in Amsterdam I decided why not have a few days in Berlin and maybe I'll meet someone who can give me a ticket to the U2 show. Last night at the hostel they had karaoke at the bar and were giving away 3 tickets. Let's just say I didn't win the tickets and was dissapointed because I didn't think there was any way I would hear them.

While touring the city today I went to the top of the parliament building which looks out over Brandenburg Gate where the concert was going to be. While looking out on the view I heard music coming from the gate. U2's "One" song was blasting out and I got choked up listening to the lyrics and looking across the city of Berlin wondering how only 20 years ago this city was divided and people weren't allowed to leave a certain area, etc. I sat up on top of Parliament listening to another U2 song thinking that the sound check had to have been recorded. After visiting Parliament I headed back to Brandenburg Gate. Next thing I knew I was about 200 yards from Bono and he was actually singing with the band for the sound check. It was amazing and I felt satisfied that maybe I wouldn't see the actual concert but that this was very special.

Things did get better...

A friend of mine from the hostel and I were still determined to walk to the area and see how close we could get to listen. We ended up being in the first row watching the entire concert on a huge screen that was right behind the security line for those who had tickets. The concert was amazing! The idea that U2 was putting on this free concert to help Berlin celebrate being a unified country and the changes that they have gone through was amazing. I think the history of the wall means something more because it is history that has happened within our lifetime. Walking around the streets here in Berlin I am walking with people who struggled during this time while the wall was up. I am staying in the East part of Berlin and if I was here 20 years ago the people living here wouldn't have been able to go to the west. The world is ever changing which is a good thing but if we can all come together and be one it would be a beautiful day.

Thank you Berlin and U2 (and Jay-Z for your short stint) for an amazing experience in your city. Berlin is a very different city than what I remember from when I was here 10 years ago around this same time. You commonly hear people talking about how Berlin is always changing and the history is still so young. It is true it is forever changing and I look forward to returning to Berlin in another 10 years to see how it has continued to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment