Monday, November 2, 2009

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I survived Amsterdam! And by survived I mean I didn't get hit by any bikes. Bikes have more priority on the road than cars and don't bother to stop even if they have a red light and you have a green light to walk.

Amsterdam to me is a mix between New York, with the flashing lights in Times Square and Vegas, Sin City, land of sex and drugs. The red light district was interesting. I was walking to the area to check it out and thought I was getting close when all of a sudden I quickly knew I was in it when I heard a heaving clinking noise on the window next to me and I passed by. The noise startled me so I turned quickly to see a lovely lady in little clothing smiling and trying to lure me in. I witnessed couples waking down the street with ladies going after guys with girlfriends on their arm. From what I was told by a tourguide they have closed a couple hundred windows already so you better hurry to Amsterdam while you can still experience this sight. It was interesting to me especially being in Amsterdam that on Halloween most people were dressed in "scary" costumes as opposed to the "sexy" costumes that seem to dominate the halloween nights at home.

Despite the flashing lights, Amsterdam truly is a beautiful city with the architecture and many canals. Additionally, they have some wonderful museums like the Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank House, and the Rijkismuseum.

I have to decided to alter my plan and head to Berlin to participate in the events of the 20th anniversary of the wall falling. I'll update shorly.

1 comment:

  1. I had to get "saved" a couple of times by the audit manager when I almsot stepped out in front of a few buses when I was there in Feb.

    ReplyDelete