Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Prague, Czech Republic

They saw Prague is the Paris of the east. It isnt quite Paris but it is a beautiful city rich with history, diverse in architecture, and filled with the best sausages I have had yet. It is surprising to me that a country that is a new tourist hot spt within the past ten years, if that, is filled with tourist shops. At times it seemed more touristy than any other city I have been to thus far. It is sad to think how tourism hsa chnaged and transformed this city. I guess part of why it is filled with tacky tourism is because it appears that tourism is the main means of income. Apparently, I am traveling in the off=season, however while in Prague you would have never known. The castle, squares, and streets were packed with tourist along with a lot of American college students studying abroad on weekend holidays.

A blog posting wouldnt be complete without talking about the food. Czech food is similar to German cuisine with lots of meat and potatoes and has been fairly enjoyable. My favorite food in the Czech Republic has been garlic soup. It is a potatoe water and garlic broth with smoked ham, herbs, a bit of potatoes, cheese, and croutons. I have gotten a recipe from a local and wil be giving the recipe a shot when I get home.

I had a wonderful time in Prague but to be completely honset I was a little let down and dissapointed because I had heard nonstop on how wonderful Prague was that I had it built up in my head. It was a great place and I am glad that I visited it, however, I felt that Prague wasn§t filled with the beauty and charm that I was looking for and expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment