Things normally are not how they appear in the movies, but Salzburg and the surrounding countryside is as beautiful as the Sound of Music shows. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz got into town today and were beginning to film a movie. Hopefully the movie shows Salzburg as the same beautiful place. The town of Salzburg reminds me a bit of Vail with fancy shops, quaint picturesque streets and alleys, and of course the wonderful markets with amazing pretzels.
While in Salzburg I did the Sound of Music (SOM) tour. On the tour they drive you around to all of the spots where they filmed and believe me there are lots! We also went out to the countryside where the lake district is. The scenery there was beautiful with the Austrian alps jetting out from the crystal clear blue lakes. Not only did I learn a thing or two about the movie but I also got to see the Red Bull headquarters. Who knew it was created over 20 years ago in Austria! Thankfully the horrible smell of Red Bull doesnt fill the country air or I might not be leaving with a great memory. Salzburg isnt just the home of SOM or Red Bull, but also where Mozart and the man who wrote Silent Night were born.
Now I am off to stay in an old prison in Ljubjana. Dont worry I havent done anything "illegal" in Europe besides the jaywalking which in Austria is frowned upon even if there arent any cars in sight and on a narrow one way road. It can result in a huge ticket and scolding by the locals.
I am sad to be leaving Austria because I have throughly enjoyed the beauty, the culture, friendly people, the pace, and food. Its only fitting as I leave that I think of good ole Austrian Arnold... Ill be back!
No comments:
Post a Comment